Sterile Processing Supervisor
Responsible for supervising the overall Sterile Processing Department in accordance with all required regulatory/quality documents. Serve as the primary liaison between the SPD and the Client OR/Materials Department to ensure that needs and concerns of the OR are received, documented, followed up on and communicated back.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Perform job tasks in accordance with written Standard Operating Procedures.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with the quality assurance programs established by the company to meet all applicable regulatory guidelines including those of the company, of the client, of the FDA and any other applicable agencies. Complete and maintain accurate records for all required programs.
- Function as the primary contact between the SPD and the OR for daily activities. Serve as the single point of contact for the OR/Materials (and other areas serviced). Responsible for communications and interactions between managed Department(s) and the OR/Materials (and/or other areas serviced) for communication and resolution of problems, issues, complaints, shortages, etc. Takes requests from the OR/Materials and provide solutions as required.
- Maintain the Product Complaint System. Identify and document issues associated with the SPD, trays, case carts, etc… Track and follow-up on issues raised and/or identified by the OR. Document all problems, issues, shortages, etc. as well as the resolution. Take ownership of issues identified, facilitate the resolution and communicate the results back to the reporting individual.
- Responsible for documenting and investigating non-conformance issues, developing Corrective and Preventive Action Plans and ensuring follow through as appropriate.
- Perform periodic Quality System audits, and generate audit reports. Conduct follow-up to audits to ensure observations are properly addressed.
- Conduct training as required, including SOP training, training on new sets and set changes. Ensure the needs of the customer are clearly understood. Maintain appropriate training records for all employees in accordance with Educator.
- Demonstrate ability to deal with multiple issues simultaneously (multitask) and move them all towards resolution.
- Develop and maintain a good working rapport with the OR Personnel. Be able to actively interact with OR staff and be able to understand and articulate problems, issues and resolutions.
- Present a positive, motivated, pleasant, can do attitude at all times. Pro-Actively interact with the OR Staff/Managers to ensure department has a firm read on the pulse of the OR.
- Be able to collect and analyze multiple data points associated with the daily operations and performance of the SPD as it relates to the customer’s (OR) satisfaction.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Responsible for direct supervision, development and evaluation of on-site employees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Must have a good working knowledge of Instruments, the operation/workings of the OR and be able to readily understand their issues and requests. Be able to speak the language of the OR.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills required including a working knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel. Experience with an instrument tracking system preferred
- Self-starter, ability to work independently when required. Ability to set priorities, be flexible, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Detailed oriented, excellent organizational and documentation skills.
- Good interpersonal and telephone skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Capable of communicating and coordinating with multiple departments. A team player.
Normal work conditions will vary and will include exposure to office, sterile processing department, and operating room environments. May come into contact with blood and body fluids. Must be willing and able to wear and use personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate to the work environment. PPE may include gloves, liquid proof gowns, and face protection. This list is not all inclusive. Requires vaccinations in accordance with hospital guidelines. Requirements will vary by client location.
Minimum of 1 year QA or SPD experience in a supervisory or leadership position required.
Six Sigma/Lean experience helpful.
EDUCATION / REQUIRED:
- Two consecutive years working in a sterile processing department or operating room environment and acquired knowledge of decontamination and sterilization sciences, case cart systems and medical/surgical supplies and equipment.
- A minimum of one year current in a supervisor role with proven supervisory accountability.
High School diploma or GED required.
Certification as a surgical technologist or sterile processing technician.
•Accredited certification program such as the CBSPD sterilization certification or CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) or Certification for IAHCSMM CHL (Certification in Healthcare Leadership)